Learn how we created GetDistance
Check out our blog post How to calculate distance and travel time using Google Maps in FileMaker to learn how we created GetDistance. You can follow along with the tutorial if you like, or just download the demo and implement it into your own solutions.
What can you use GetDistance for?
Here are a few ideas how you can use GetDistance in your own solutions:
- Calculate driving distance between two addresses
- Calculate travel time between two addresses
- Build a delivery schedule that calculates approximate arrival times for each delivery address
- Build a tool to better manage your time on the road whilst seeing clients
- Build an appointment-setting tool to better manage time on the road
- Create whatever cleaver idea you have 🙂
Get your own Google Maps API Key
Before you can use GetDistance and Google Maps, you need to obtain your own Google Maps API Key.
Once you click on the ‘GET A KEY’ button, you will see a dialog box as follows:
Create a new project – you can use your solution name as your new project, then click on the ‘Next’ button.
Google will now create your new project and provide you with your unique API Key.
How to add GetDistance to your own solutions
Here are the steps to add GetDistance to your own solutions:
- Download the demo file
- Get your own Google Maps API key and insert it into the demo file
- Check out how the demo works
- Copy the script from the demo file over to your own solution
- Edit the script to suit your own needs